The Nichols

The Nichols

Friday, June 17, 2011

Silent Clues

I have been with my husband for 8 years. This is to say from when we first started dating to being married. In those eight years we (more me then him) have developed subtle clues and habits to indicate moods and desires. I find it interesting that couples and just people who you are around a lot create these slight nudges or "quirks" to express some kind of communication that needs to be only between you and the desired recipient. It can be a quiet and unnoticeable nudge or squeeze/twitch of the hand, slight tightening of the eyes or blink, or even an exhale of breath. The list could go on and on depending on the couple and the meanings could have any number of subtle or deep connection.
It is just amazing to me that when you are around a person enough that these small acts can speak volumes about what the other wants and no one else aware (or at least appears to notice). It makes me wonder how many other "silent clues" will be created as Jake and I change, evolve, and grow as a family. Body language is an amazing language to study. The slight idiosyncrasies are what make those squeezes, twitches, and breathes all the more meaningful. It makes you wonder what messages you are sending, on purpose or otherwise, to those round you and how they are being interpreted.

2 comments:

Mom N said...

Love the new look of the blog! Keep it up! Love your ramblings! Loved being at Thanksgiving Point with you yesterday!

Socorro Smith said...

Haha, we've been together just about 5 years now, and I think it's so crazy that there are times when I don't even have to say anything and Karl knows exactly what I'm thinking! He knows what most of my looks and even my sighs mean. It's really nice (especially when we're with company) when I can just glance at him and he knows what I mean :)