The Nichols

The Nichols

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Freebies

For those of you that have been to my apartment, you know that the color scheme is mostly...well brown. Not the most flattering of colors when your carpet looks like poo brown, with a shade of yellow that has a hint of brown it. It makes is feel cramped. To top it off the couches are a horrid blue plaid with tan and brown stripping and feels like burlap when you lay on it it transfers the pattern onto your face. It has been a long time dream of mine to get some couch covers that would cover the eyesore and maybe even brighten the room up a little. My wish has been granted!
My sister has been telling me about this website called Freecycle.com. Basically it is an online local forum that people can join that allows people to post their wants and things they are willing to give away. It is totally free and all you need to do is act fast and then pick it up.
Since I am the cheap person that I am, I signed up in hopes of finding my slip covers. No luck. The trick was to post my 'want' and Ta-Da i got an email from a woman in Cedar Hills the next day who saw the post and remembered she had some in her basement just sitting in a plastic tub for years.
I have to admit they aren't the ideal perfect color that I was looking for, but when you aren't willing to go out and buy new ones the denim covers sure don't look bad for being free. It is just amazing what a little color can do to make my front room a little more inviting and comfortable.
I was lucky, a lot of the things that are on there happen to be baby related i.e. strollers, clothes, cribs etc... It is just nice to know I can get the things I need for the cost of a gallon of gas. I think it is a great deal.

3 comments:

Nikol said...

I love freecycle!! Hope you're doing great!!

Jessie Eyre said...

Yeah, I've totally heard of it! I hear its AWESOME! You should post before and after pictures of your couches...or invite us over. :) Congrats on the new color! I love COLOR!

We love you!

Mom N said...

Ditto Jessie--except if I've heard of it, I'd forgotten about it. Can't wait to see the new look!