The Nichols

The Nichols

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Change in Plans

Now that life is back to the somewhat same routine it seems like it I am ready for a break again, maybe not as long as before but a short one. When I got back to work I was thrown a big curve ball. I was taken off my normal tutoring detail and put onto One-on-One status with an 8 year old Autistic boy. This kid has been a real terror for his teacher, peers, and school administration. While he is a fairly high functioning Autistic individual, his focus and social behavior is much to be desired. It was too the point where he would be taken out of class within a few minutes of arriving at school. Yet, it has only been a week and a half and he is better behaved. It seems as though I am what he needed. He seems to need that individual attention away from the general chaos that is his classroom. The structure that I have placed around him is working. While he may hate how I demand an nice apology for any offense made to myself or others, and asking permission to do basic kid things has made him more mellow. His mom and parents are amazed that he is able to get more than one work done before lunch, he is having less and shorter outburts along with lashing outs. It just reinforces my view that what a child is given structure they will thrive and be generally more happy. While it is true that there are some "quirks" "tics" "odditites", call them what you will, that will never be completely reversed, at least he isn't hurting others or himself. That is a step in the right direction. It is slightly satisfying when he gives me a hug at the end of the day while gabbing on to his mom on how he had good day and was able to play nicely with his peers.

No comments: