The Nichols

The Nichols

Monday, November 24, 2008

The Holy War thoughts

This last weekend was a big one for all the college football fans in Utah. Yes it was the big game, the Holy War, The Duel, the long and always awaited Byu vs. U of U game. It was an amazing game for not only the teams but also the Mountain West Division. The outcome of the game may have cause some significant changes for teams in our beloved college division...namely the BCS Championship. But before I get that rant I'll start with the actual game. I was fortunate enough to have scored two tickets to be able to witness this much anticipated game. Through a long cold night at the U, patience, and some wonderful arguing skills from my sister-in-law Tiffany my siblings and their spouses were also able to join in on the fun. Now my family is divided with a brother that has crossed over to the enemies ranks along with his adorable wife, it was left to my sister and I (for some reason our husbands don't care much for the sport though they humor us :P) to cheer our team on in the hostile territory. Our tickets were for the U students (what can I say the tickets were free!) and we were heckled and harassed relentlessly, along with a small group of BYU that grouped together.
For those of you who really know you know that I don't really like contention, though I understand it is a fact of life sometimes. I am also all for a good rivalry, so long as it is in good spirits. It really saddened me when I was cussed at, made fun of, blocked from moving freely up and down the mountainous terrain of the highest bleachers to simply go to the restroom. I have to admit that it was distressing when people went so far as to spit on the opposing teams fans just because they happened to have tickets in the same section. It was an amazing game and thankfully our group didn't have issues once we found a place to stand, but I watched as it became more and more brutal. By the end of the game, which I congratulate U of U for winning they deserved it can't beat a perfect season, I came to the conclusion that if you stoop down to the level of open harassment and belittling you are required to have a significant drop in intelligence. I say this because it seemed that it was those of a less intelligent manner and manners were those making it a less desirable environment to be in. My brother and I heckled but we never crossed the line in to blatant crudeness. It was in good spirit of the game and we enjoyed our time together.
What I found most interesting was the fighting amongst the U's own fans. I watched as a couple of people almost came to blows over what another had said. I address my earlier comment about loss of brain function. Those of us with a higher function quickly moved away to avoid personal injury. It just makes me shake my head and wonder......why?
As for me I am not bitter, U of U you deserved to win for a variety of reasons (BYU you really dropped the ball and I mean that both figuratively and literally).

Enjoy possible BCS Bowl game and I will be cheering for you. Just remember there is always next year!

1 comment:

Mom N said...

Very fun to read about this ... shall we say "interesting"? ... day. And VERY fun to spend time with you this Thanksgiving weekend! Thanks for joining my Juchau family for turkey on Friday! WE SURE LOVE YOU! xoxox