The Nichols

The Nichols

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Another milestone reached

Something on a significant scale happened today at 9:30am at Walden School in Provo. What happened today has been happening to people since dawn of time, or at least since schools have made fieldtrips a common occurrence. I Sashalai Nichols become a chaperon. When did I become old enough that I was mature and able to be given such a responsibility? Isn't this something that is reserved for parents, grandparents, and teachers? It was just a little odd for me to be responsible for the safety of getting three elementary school girls to and from the Utah Valley Symphony at the Provo Tabernacle. I was a little befuddled as to when I had crossed over that line from being just a tutor to being a overseer of young children's lives. I know it wasn't all that far from school to downtown Provo, but still it felt like I had passed a milestone somewhere and forgot to properly pay my dues as a parent first. All in all it was a great trip, I got to listen to some amazing music, be proud that at least the kids that I was directly and indirectly responsible for were being quiet and respectful to the performers and other music-goers. I am looking forward to another opportunity to go out and have fun with the kids and have an adventure with them again.

1 comment:

Mom N said...

Ah! I'm glad Heather got to you & you were put to good use! That's how lots of these "grownup" roles happen--suddenly your body is a grown-up body and somebody puts it to good use! (Oh, I can hear Nick putting THAT to good use!) So glad it was a fun day. What music did the symphony play?