The Nichols

The Nichols

Monday, September 15, 2008

Scenic Views

Every morning I wake up at 7 am to get ready for work while Jake runs off to the gym or just running. I leave the house by 7:50 to get to work. Aside from waking up before I want to I get the greatest view each morning. I have the opportunity to see the beautiful mountains in all of their splendor. It is amazing how the mountains a ginormous pile of rock, dirt, and plants that could be so awe inspiring. I love being able to watch the colors change from that deep purple to lighter shades as the sun decides to creep over the peaks and spread rays of light warming the the cold dark earth. It is beautiful. I don't know what it is that makes me love it so much but I do.
While the morning has such a power over me the evening does too. When I go to the gym in the evening I get to see the mountains lit up with the most glorious shades of red and orange. I almost ran a stop sign because I was mesmerized by it beauty. It always amazes me how the same sun can have such different affects. One being soft and subtle chasing away darkness, yet when setting have such an intensity that takes the breath away while welcoming in the darkness after a long day. I love it!!

Don't get me wrong. I love the Golden Hills of California. I love the way the green or golden grass waves on the gentle rolling hills as the wind blows with the cows peacefully graze. It is glorious to see it standing on a quiet hilltop after a invigorating hike. I do miss California. I miss being able to go the ocean after being on the hilltop and watch the endless blue/gray waves tirelessly crash on the rough sandy shore. The sound of the waves pushing and pulling on the sand making a hissing sound every time it pulls away. The smell of the sea carried effortlessly on the continuous ocean wind. How the ocean gleams with the rays of the sun bounce off the horizon creating rainbows in the spray or having the sky lit up from fire red to the deepest blues with stars peeking our as it sets.

It is hard to decide what is more amazing to watch. I don't think that I could ever choose since I have been able to experience both and love both. If only I could put these two loves together then it would be perfect. Sadly that wont happen. I will just have to live with my memories of California sunrises and sunsets and drink in the beautiful wonder that Utah is able to provide for me now. I do love living in Utah and I do not regret ever moving here for I have found plenty to be grateful both in the scenic beauty and the beauty of family. Both are beautiful to witness on a daily basis and something that I can never tire of viewing time and time again.

2 comments:

Mom N said...

What lovely descriptions. And DON'T give up your dream of living in CA again. Ya never know where Jake will end up getting some cush job. And if you keep telling him how cool the rolling hills are, he just may not be able to resist.

I met a couple of Walden students today at "Spicy Nails"--the owner's kids--they knew you & Amanda. You're becoming famous! Hope all's going well. So good to hear from you here.

xoxxoxoxo

erin said...

i saw the most amazing sunset here in utah last week. i took a picture of it. i always thought rexburg sunsets were best, but i might change my mind. growing up in livermore, i never found the real beauty in the golden hills. sad, i know.