The Nichols

The Nichols

Friday, July 26, 2013

Happy 5th Anniversary!

So this is being made a day late, but that is okay.

Jake and I celebrated our 5th Anniversary yesterday! It is crazy to think that five years has passed since we said our "I Do's". Even though so much time has gone by it seems like the blink of an eye all at the same time. It is crazy to think back on all of the things that we've experienced together.

I've been thinking of all the things that we have done or had done to us and here are some memories that I've come up with. This list encompasses the good, the bad, and the ugly.
These are in no particular order

  1. We've had only 2 real "fights", but thankfully we came to an understanding before too long and have learned how we work as a couple and individuals when it comes to disagreements and are willing to make concession and find the middle ground on matters.
  2. Had both of our cars be incapacitated within a week of each other. Mine totaled in an accident and his having the fan belt basically rip the entire engine to pieces.
  3. Dealing with a personal tragedy on top of ruined cars. September of 2011 was the darkest time of our marriage in terms of trials of faith, patience, emotional and physical endurance, and testing what we are truly made of as a couple. I am grateful we were able to weather that storm and grow closer together instead of apart.
  4. Jake graduates April 2012!!
  5. Jake gets his job at Zions Bank a week before graduating
  6. We get kicked out of our dungeon apartment, but are able to move right into our current basement apartment.
  7.  Waking up in the middle of  a February night to our bedroom under 4-6 inches of water and the rest of the apartment with 1-2 inches, causing us to have to take refuge at his parents for a couple of weeks while the basement is repaired
  8. Jake sacrificing almost every weekend to work for four years so we can survive financially
  9. Halloween 2012 finding out I'm pregnant!
  10. June 25th 2013 the birth of our wonderful son Vaughn Kay Nichols!!! and adjusting to having such a fabulous miracle in our lives
  11. Sleeping with otter pops to keep us cool our first summer married
  12. Sleeping with all the blankets on the bed for 2 summers in the dungeon because it is so cold 
  13. Having the A/C and fan blasting on me while Jake is huddled in all the blankets because I am pregnant and dieing of heat
  14. Laughing so hard it puts me into labor
  15. Being able to see our baby on the ultrasound for the first time and then telling family we are expecting
  16. Going to St. George for a long weekend where we explored Zions, Snow Canyon and being rained out of Tuachan. It was still worth it!
  17. Being with my best friend everyday and share all the laughter, tears, frustrations, joys, sadness, and adventures together.
I have enjoyed the ride so far and I look forward to what the future has in store for us. There is no fear for me because I know that we have to ability and capacity to handle it. I anticipate frustration as we work together to raise our son and future children and all the challenges that come with it.

What a blessing it is to know that I have chosen a man that I can trust with my deepest worries and dreams. A man who I can laugh with and who will hold and cry with me during the more challenging times. I truly am blessed to have Jake as my husband that loves me for me and doesn't ask me to do the impossible of changing my core self. He loves me for me and I love him flaws and all. We make a great match. I am grateful everyday I was able to meet him on a houseboat on Lake Powell all those years ago and we could endure the 4 years it took for him to take me to the alter. He is an stellar husband and an excellent father.

1 comment:

Socorro Smith said...

So amazing how much can happen and how much can change in 5 years! I'm so happy you guys are still going strong ;) Happy Anniversary!!