The Nichols

The Nichols

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Back to School

Like all good things they must eventually come to an end. Yes Moms and Dads it is back to school time. For some it is a time of celebration, the kids will be out of the house for most of the day and you don't have to hear the dreaded words, "I'm bored", or "(S)He's touching me!", or just screaming in general. However there is always a twinge of remorse (or so I have heard from some parents) that they can't just be with their kids and go out on adventures or play at the park all day.
I for one am happy that another summer is ending! It means I get to go back to work at a school where your darling little dears get to harass me all day. Sarcasm aside, I do love my job. Just like kids I need the mental stimulation that comes with book-learning or teaching as the case maybe. While I don't enjoy the paper grading, indoor recesses, smelly/sweaty kids, and clamor that is lunch, I do enjoy watching their little minds grow, make connections, and listen/watch them interact and have to remember I was once like that.
With this new school year it will be one of change. My student (now in 4th grade) will be moving half way through the school year to a new country(!). I am not excited about the potential anxieties and emotional turmoil that will come as it gets closer. It did not go well when he first found out.
It will have its challenges since the class as a whole will be starting into the mutant stages of being a preteen. They will be treated more like adults and not little kids. This will mean more personal responsibility for work and the condition it is turned in as, having to deal (more) with their own problems and finding an acceptable solution to them. Oh growing pains. So glad that I have gotten passed -most- of them.

On to completely different though slightly connected tangent! With the start of this new school year it also marks the beginning of the end for my dear sweetheart and his school career. Jake will only have two semesters left and then he graduates with a double bachelors in Accounting and Finance! I am so excited to see he walk this spring. It will be nice not to have to buy books or pay for tuition for awhile, at least until he decides he wants to get a Masters. By then hopefully he will have started a "real" job and the company can help foot the bill. We only need to get through the next nine months. I am hoping we will have more wonderful news to spread as the months pass.

2 comments:

Socorro Smith said...

Yay! back to school!! Can't say I'm totally thrilled at the thought, but I guess by this point I AM getting a little restless... I hope everything goes well for you this school year with your kids :) Congrats to you and Jake on getting close to the end!! That's so exciting!! I'm getting there, although Karl still isn't quite seeing the light at the end of the tunnel yet, poor guy! We need to hang out some time! We haven't see you guys in so long! I feel so bad that we didn't get to over the summer, since now we're all going to be busy, but maybe we can work something out??

Jessie Eyre said...

Back to school always means more adventures!!! Can't wait to see more pictures of little adventures you will have......during the fall and during the spring......