The Nichols

The Nichols

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Laugh Attacks



Laugh attacks are when you spontaneously laugh at something that may or may not be funny and can't seem to get yourself under which only further fuels the laughter fire. It is extermely contagious and infects all those around you. There is no exscaping it.



I have had this happen to me on a number of occasions. What causes it or why it happens at all is a mystery. I have a theory that says that we bottle up laughter, much like how people bottle up frustration and anger that eventually explodes in one large outbursts. While the anger and frustration tend to have negative consequences, laughter only has positive. I had one such attack right before bed. Jake and I were just laying there having our nightly conversation, which is usually about nothing in particular and he said something and I made a funny remark that just set me off, which consequently set him off. Soon we were just a giggling, snorting, crying mass of happy. After about 10 to 15 minutes of this insane overpowering of giggles and a few tissues later, I was so relaxed that it was easy to go to drift off to sleep. They make me smile and want to have them more often. You never know when, where, or why an attack will happen. One must be prepared with tissues and something to hold on to when they do decide to descend on an unsuspecting victim.

1 comment:

Mom N said...

The healer I used to work with said that "laughter takes you off the timeline." I like that idea a lot. It means when you have a laughing attack like that you are suddenly in eternity. What a cool idea.