The Nichols

The Nichols

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Preserving the Season

These last few weeks I have been the official "Canner" of the family. Since the mid-summer I have been helping do some form of canning or preserving. This means that the dehydrator has been going constantly and my house is always hot from the canning pot, my counters and floor never seem to rid themselves of the stick from the dripped juices. I have to admit that it has been nice to be able to help store the various types of produce that my in-laws so willingly grow for the family.
While it is true that I am enjoying the time spent filling my home with the inviting smells of apples, sugar, and tomatoes. I am glad that it is drawing to a close. I am finding it difficult to find places to put them. My pantry is ready to start bursting at the seams and putting them on the counter/table just doesn't appear to be the best idea for when guests come.
Despite the lack of storage I am grateful that I have gained a new skill and can preserve on my own and not have to go without. There will be plenty of apple inspired desserts, dried fruits, and tomato based meals, and pear recipes. It will be a great winter.

1 comment:

Mom N said...

Yes! You're the best! It's wonderful to have the trees & garden space to produce oodles of fruit, tomatoes, squarsh, & other vegs--but yeah--it can get old, esp if you're doing it all by yourself. Thanks for all you've done. We know now to scale back for next year, don't we...?