The Nichols

The Nichols

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Everyday is an Experience

I was presented with a unique opportunity. I was able to attend an enrichment night like no other. The women in my stake were able to have General Relief Society President Julie Beck come and speak to use. At first I was hesitant to go, but I decided to go and I am not sorry for it. What a blessing it was to be able to hear her speak. While there are many things that I rattle on about that she said I will only mention a few.
At the very beginning she would ask all the sisters that were young single adults, then the young marrieds with young kids, without kids, marrieds with teens, empty-nesters...you get the idea. After this little exercise she went on to explain that we were all in different seasons of our lives with some overlap depending on the family. This all led to the comment that we as women are all learning and growing differently and are able to strengthen and be strengthened by those around us. That really stuck with me because often times I feel like I am alone in what is going on with my life. There are times when I think that no one is able to understand what I am experiencing. This whole thing continued into her basic message that as women we have a divine role in helping those around, be it family or as a Visiting Teacher. Visiting Teaching is not just a check that we need to make sure to get checked off every month, but a responsibility to make sure that the sisters that we are put in charge of are being taken care of and that their needs are being met. This struck a chord with me. I am relatively new to this whole concept. The singles ward that I was a part of wasn't the best at getting it done or making it a priority. I can count the number of times that I was visit taught on my hands. I do not claim that I was any better. This was also something that was not a prominent feature in my home growing up, so the importance of it was never really bolstered and made to grow. It is only now that I am in this ward that I can see how it draws sisters in this church together and enables them to progress and become stronger. This is not to say it has been made easy for me. Quite the opposite. I am still struggling with the idea and spirit of it, but I am doing it. The effort is being made to better myself.
Sister Beck also had a Q&A (this where the bulk of her time was spent) session. Sisters were encouraged to think of questions that they wanted answered. It was amazing how Sister Beck was able to tie life experiences, the scriptures, and the general concerns we as women and mothers have in these times. She explained how we can be the strong covenant women that are needed to enrich, encourage, and bring up a strong younger generation and the older as well. I am so glad that I was able to go to this fireside and that we were able to get Sister Beck to come since it is hard to get such a busy women.

One of my favorite quotes that she said was a something along the lines of :

Time + crisis = future laughter. So why not laugh about it now and get ahead. Enjoy the experience.

I do have to remember that I need to take each day at a time, not get caught up in the problems, learn to laugh at it, and enjoy the experiences they are for my own benefit.

3 comments:

Our EyreLife said...

Well put, Sasha! I love a good change in perspective.

Loved your thoughts!

Mom N said...

Thank you for putting this up--I was so glad you invited me to go with you and knew you'd fill me in when I couldn't due to a previous obligation. This visiting teaching thing really is a challenge, and so is being a newlywed in a brand new city and state. I'm so glad Sis Beck helped you find some new ways to look at it helpfully. We love you so much!

Nichols Family said...

Cool post! Wish I could have been there to hear her speak. BTW, THANKS so much for the amazing blanket you made Amelia! We use it daily. I've made lots of quilts before and I have to say you did an excellent sewing job! Especially in matching the corners perfectly. I'm impressed with your mad skills!
XOXO